Tips for getting s student visa for USA and Canada

International students: North America wants you!

USA has always been an attractive destination and land of opportunities for young and ambitious individuals. According to the annual report Open Doors 2011, the number of foreign students in U.S. colleges and universities increased by 4.7% in the 2010-2011 academic year, exceeding 723,000 people. Based on the latest news US

President Barack Obama plans to make a number of changes to open many opportunities for international students, even granting them citizenship. He proposed an immigration reform, creating favorable conditions for foreign graduates of American universities to obtain citizenship and  work experience in the country. So, there’s never been a better time to consider USA for long term higher education plans.

Visa – what to start with?

You can only apply for a visa once you have been accepted by a university that is SEVP (The Student and Exchange Visitor Program) certified. When you get this exciting news applying for a student visa will be one of the key steps in pathway to ann overseas education. F-1 is the most common visa for academic students taking aneducation course.

What papers do you need to apply?

You should apply for your visa as soon as you’re prepared but very important and advisable to do it well in advance. F-1 applicants would need the following documents:

  •  SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System document) Form I-20;
  • Your printed barcode page from your online DS-160 application form;
  •  A passport valid for travel to the USA and with a validity date of at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States;
  • One photograph;
  • Fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee

Also you should be prepared to provide:

  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions;
  •  Scores from tests required by your chosen institution such as the TOEFL;
  •  Evidence of sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your studies;
  •  You should demonstrate the consular your intention to leave the USA after you finish studying

Study to live in Canada

Each year more than 150,000 students from around the world come to study and live in Canada. Canada is a charming country with many picturesque places that provide affordable option to get a quality education and a fantastic quality of life. It is very flexible to foreign students who bring new skills and knowledge and enrich its culture.

How to apply?

If you want to study in Canada for more than 6 months you need to apply for a study permit (that is a student visa). As usual before applying you need to be accepted by a recognized university or college and have ‘Proof of Student Status’ letter. In addition to your acceptance letter you would need financial statements from the bank to cover tuition fees and living expenses and also a valid passport and 2 photos, application form with 2 appendixes and application fee.

What is also important to know is that each province and territory in Canada decides  the age when a person is considered to be an adult. This is known as the age of majority and a “minor child” (a person under the age of majority) must be cared for by a custodian (who is a responsible adult in Canada).  Two notarized documents (one signed by the parents and the second one in Canada) are needed to be prepared and required to give the custodian permission to act as a parent in Canada.

Pay attention that getting visa to Canada may take up to 3 months in high season so it is extremely important to gather the documents as soon as possible and well in advance. In some cases medical examination taken in the certified Medical Centres will be also required.

Usually Canadian embassy does not require original documents and interview.

Good luck and remember that nothing is impossible!